TuróPark Medical and Dental Center’s interdisciplinary team can help you get a better (and healthier) night’s sleep with less snoring.
Is your snoring taking a toll on your health, your intimate relationships, and your quality of life?
You are not alone
25% of men and 12% of women snore. As we age, we are more likely to snore. Older people are more likely to be overweight, have weaker airway muscles which vibrate more easily, take more medications known to cause snoring, and catch more viruses which can make breathing through your nose noisier.
There are several reasons why you might snore:
- You are overweight
- You sleep on your back
- You smoke
- You drink too much alcohol
- You take sleeping pills
- You have sleep apnea
Sleep apnea is a medical condition in which your airway collapses, blocking any oxygen flow, until you wake up, gasping for air. Approximately 1 out of every 20 adults have sleep apnea.
The most common symptoms of sleep apnea are:
- Loud snoring with periods of silence, followed by choking or gasping
- Sore throat or headaches in the morning
- Excessive sleepiness in the daytime
- Lack of concentration
- Behavioral changes and mood swings
People who are loud snorers are at greater risk for developing sleep apnea. Obstructive sleep apnea has been linked to more serious medical conditions such as heart disease, stroke, diabetes and impotence.
We have answers for your snoring problems.
There are different treatment options for snoring, depending on its cause, so it is important that you speak with the English-speaking team at Turó Park Medical and Dental Center to learn how we can help you (and your partner) start sleeping better each and every night.
- At your first visit, we will examine in your mouth and nose to try to identify what might be causing your snoring.
- It can be helpful to bring your partner with you to this first appointment, so that they can better explain the pattern of your snoring over the course of time.
- After this exam and taking a thorough medical history, our doctors might recommend some of these possible treatments:
- A review of your medications and lifestyle to see whether there are small “tweaks” that can be made to decrease snoring such changing medications, a new pillow, better sleep hygiene, or even referral to our nutrition to help you successfully lose weight.
- Fitting you for one of several customized devices designed to prevent vibration of your mouth, tongue, nose, throat or airways.
- Nasal dilators, nasal strips, or a nasal spray to help keep your nose open while you sleep.
- Referral to a specialist such as an Ear, Nose and Throat (ENT) physician or a Sleep Medicine doctor for a test called a sleep study. Turó Park Medical and Dental Center has established referral relationships with medical specialists in Barcelona, and our trained staff will schedule these appointments with these experts for you.
Don’t ignore what your body’s noises are trying to tell you. Our collaborative team of English-speaking dentists, doctors and nutritionist at Turó Park Medical and Dental Center will work together to provide you with a multi-disciplinary solution for your snoring.
Book your appointment online now or call our office schedule your private consultation.
Author Amy Harris & Article written in collaboration with the Dr. Eduardo Lehrer