Your English doctor in Barcelona
The general practitioner treat patients in case of illness or basic injuries, and, are the ones that can refer patients to specialists if needed. They treat patients of all ages, both genders and are able to diagnose and treat several pathologies and health problems.
Our English speaking team of General Practitioners tend to build close relationships with their patients since they see them often and are the first doctor to take care of their health.
Meet our English-speaking Doctors in Barcelona
English doctor Barcelona : FAQ
The general practitioner treats both children and adults, supporting the sustainable monitoring, well-being and general primary health care of a community, without age or gender limitation. The general practitioner, also called GP or family doctor, is therefore often consulted to diagnose symptoms before referring the patient to another specialist.
The scope of general medicine covers so many disciplines and pathologies and you can consult a GP for practically each of them. Most of the consultations are related to these diseases:
- Infections: can be detected by a high temperature (> 38.5°), a cough, pain (throat, ear, stomach, joint pain, ...) for more than 48-72 hours and hard to handle (difficulty eating, sleep disturbance, fatigue).
- Daily life common accidents such as burns, sprains, fractures, wounds, etc.
- Sudden and abnormal symptoms: palpitations, chest pain on exertion or spontaneously, difficulty in speaking/movement, vision problems, any symptoms that come on quickly, suddenly and prevent you from functioning normally.
- Treatment follow-up and prescription renewals or modifications.
- Sports certificates, school certificates, absence certificates, work stoppage, professional illness, requisition, death certificate, etc.
- Weight loss, return to sports or physical activity.
- Psychic disorders: dark thoughts, abnormal tiredness, incongruous ideas that you or someone close to you criticizes...
- Pediatrics: the monitoring and development of a child and the treatment of acute conditions.
- Gynecology (methods of contraception, sex life) and pregnancy follow-up up to 6 months for doctors who have been trained for it.
When you consult a general practitioner, the first thing the doctor will do is interview you with simple questions about your general health background and your symptoms. They will proceed to do the consultation with these basic steps:
- Inspection: examination of eardrums, eyes, mouth, skin...
- Taking of constants (temperature, heart rate, blood pressure, oxygen saturation if necessary).
- Palpation: examination of lymph nodes, abdominal, gynecologist, stomatologic examinations.
- Auscultation: listening with the stethoscope to heart, lung and abdominal sounds.
- Percussion: abdominal, thoracic, evaluation of neurological reflexes.
- Then, if necessary, the doctor can add laboratory or radiology tests in order to have a more exact diagnosis.
Based on all the gathered information, the doctor will then be able to establish a diagnosis and make a prescription for medication or refer to other specialists.