From controlling blood pressure to removing waste products and excess fluid from your body, kidneys perform numerous bodily functions. For this reason, early detection and treatment of renal diseases can be life-saving.
At Turó Park Clinics, we make nephrology care seamless. Our dedicated nephrologists in Barcelona are committed to providing you with the finest and most comprehensive care possible. Nephrologist Ana Sanchez focuses on the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of chronic and acute kidney diseases, such as renal failure, kidney transplant, high blood pressure, etc. She can diagnose kidney issues and prescribe a personalized treatment course that involves everything from medications to dietary guidance.
Ready to take the first step? Schedule a renal appointment with Turó Park Clinics today and discover the difference the best nephrologists in Barcelona make in your kidney health.
What Is Nephrology?
Nephrology is a branch of internal medicine that focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of kidney diseases. Kidneys are a pair of bean-shaped organs located on either side of the spine, in the back of the abdomen, just below your rib cage.
Kidneys are the human body’s natural filtration system, which forms an integral part of the urinary system. They remove waste products and excess fluid from your bloodstream. They are also vital for maintaining proper concentrations of electrolytes like sodium, potassium, and calcium, which can fluctuate due to various conditions or even medications.
There are several subspecialties under renal nephrology. Two important ones are transplant and interventional nephrology.
Transplant nephrologists specialize in pancreas and kidney transplants, both surgical procedures and post-transplant care for recipients. Interventional nephrology focuses on specific procedures and interventions to access blood vessels during dialysis. Interventional nephrologists are trained in several areas, including catheter placement and removal, stent placement, blood clot removal, fistulograms, and kidney biopsies.
Nonetheless, nephrology extends beyond kidney health. Some kidney-related conditions are systemic, affecting the entire body and not just confined to one organ. Such disorders demand specialized treatment and medical care, which is where nephrologists come into play.
Fast track your treatment
To book an appointment or speak with one of our friendly team, please get in touch using the options below.
Who Is A Nephrologist? What Do They Treat?
Nephrologists are renal doctors who are experts in caring for the kidneys. They are responsible for diagnosing, treating, and managing various kidney-related issues. Nephrologists who focus on kidney care for newborns and children are referred to as pediatric kidney specialists or nephrologists.
Nephrology diseases treated by renal specialists can range from common issues like kidney stones to more complex and chronic ailments such as chronic kidney disease (CKD), renal failure, and end-stage renal disease.
At Turó Park Clinics, some of the conditions treated by our kidney specialists in Barcelona include:
- Urine abnormalities include the presence of excess protein, sugar, blood, or crystals in urine.
- Conditions that affect the glomeruli (tiny filtering units within the kidneys).
- Kidney, bladder, and urethra cancers.
- Kidney infections.
- All types of renal failures–acute, sudden, chronic, or long-term.
- Effects of conditions like hypertension and diabetes on the kidneys.
- Acid-base fluctuations that affect renal function.
- Kidney and bladder stones.
- Effects of toxins and other medications on kidney function.
- Nephrotic syndrome and nephritis.
- Renal vascular diseases that impact kidney function.
- Conditions affecting renal tubules and the interstitium.
- Autoimmune conditions like autoimmune vasculitis and lupus.
- Kidney transplants
- Hemodialysis and peritoneal dialysis
- Polycystic kidney disease (a condition characterized by cysts within the kidneys).
What Are The Most Common Nephrology Diseases?
Renal nephrology encompasses a broad spectrum of diseases and conditions that impact the health and functionality of kidneys.
Among the most common renal diseases are:
The abnormal growth and accumulation of amyloid proteins in various parts of the body.
High blood pressure impacts various organs, including the kidneys, and can contribute to kidney failure, aneurysms, and strokes.
Often caused by long-term complications of diabetes, known as diabetic nephropathy. It is a leading cause of kidney failure.
An inflammation of glomeruli, which are concerned with removing excess fluid and waste from the bloodstream.
Involves a wide range of conditions that cause kidney damage, impairing their ability to remove waste and excess fluid from the body.
An autoimmune disease, systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) causes inflammation of the kidneys.
Damaged blood vessels within the kidneys lead to excessive protein excretion in the urine (proteinuria).
A condition where cysts develop within the kidney, potentially leading to renal failure.
Bacterial infection causes inflammation of structures within the kidney.
Reduced blood flow to the kidneys, which results from renal artery diseases and can lead to impaired kidney function.
Kidneys lose their ability to filter waste products from the bloodstream effectively.
Each type of kidney disease requires specialized evaluation and treatment. Our dedicated kidney disease specialists in Barcelona are well-equipped to provide expert care. If you or your loved one are facing kidney-related concerns, do not hesitate to schedule a nephrology appointment with our renal hospital today.
When Should You See A Nephrologist?
If you experience any kidney disease symptoms, you should immediately consult a nephrologist. Here are some of the most common kidney damage symptoms.
- Persistent swelling in the legs, ankles, or feet
- Frequent, unexplained headaches
- Dry and itchy skin
- Reduced sense of taste or appetite changes
- Low energy levels and difficulty concentrating
- Brain fog, confusion, forgetfulness
- Joint pain or stiffness
- Irregularities in blood pressure, especially high blood pressure
- Muscle cramps, numbness, and weakness
- Sleep disturbances
- Hematuria (blood in the urine)
- Decreased urine output, unrelated to dehydration
- Unexplained weight loss
In addition to these kidney issue symptoms, a biological family history of renal diseases puts you at a greater risk of nephrological diseases. Furthermore, diabetes is known to have adverse effects on the kidneys. So, if you have diabetes, you’re at an increased risk of renal complications.
Regular check-ups with a nephrology specialist can help monitor your kidney health and take preventive measures.
Your health is our priority.
Our nephrologist is dedicated to the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of kidney-related diseases and disorders.
How Do We Care For Your Kidney At Turó Park Clinics?
At Turó Park Clinics, our team of the best nephrologists in Barcelona have extensive training and hands-on experience in managing a full spectrum of renal diseases, from chronic renal failure to end-stage kidney disease and treatments like dialysis and kidney transplants.
We combine this expertise with a compassionate approach to offer personalized kidney disease treatment for patients of all ages. Our pediatric nephrology services feature kidney care tailored to children's unique needs.
During your first visit, our kidney specialist in Barcelona will:
- Review your medical records
- Inquire about your symptoms
- Conduct a physical examination
- Order relevant kidney diagnostic tests, such as blood tests, urine tests, or imaging studies
Using the insights gained from these initial analyses, the kidney doctor will:
- Identify the underlying cause of kidney disease, including factors like hypertension, diabetes, or glomerulonephritis.
- Curate optimal treatment plans to cure your disease
- Efficiently managing your symptoms and mitigating the risks associated with related conditions, such as cardiovascular diseases.
- Employ strategies to slow the progression of renal diseases and improve the overall quality of your life.
- Assist you in preparing for potential treatments like kidney transplants, dialysis, etc.
As a nephrology center committed to excellence, we continuously strive to adopt cutting-edge therapies and treatment plans for renal diseases. We employ the latest and most effective technology and techniques to provide care that surpasses conventional standards.
In addition, we understand the challenges of living with nephrology diseases. Hence, we make sure to assist patients at every step of their journey. This includes assistance with scheduling nephrology appointments, kidney medicines, and other aspects of kidney disease management, including dialysis, transplant care, renal function tests, etc.